A brief history of Job Tyler of Andover, Massachusetts and his descendants to my grandmother Winifred Pearl Tyler Wall

|HOME| |Tyler Family Home Page| |Family Tree| |Salem Witch Trials| |Sources| |Photos| |Our Virtual Cemetery| |Genealogy Menu|

The Descendants of Job Tyler - The Tyler Family History

Job Tyler

Job Tyler was the immigrant ancestor of many hundreds of people who today bear the name Tyler, and hundreds more of other surnames who are directly descended from him.

Records kept by the Tyler family of Ohio state that Job was from the north of England but of Scottish descent. He arrived in Newport, Rhode Island in the spring of 1638. The Colonial Records of Rhode Island lists Job Tyler admitted to the town sometime after March 20, 1638. He is the only Job Tyler to appear in early American Colonial records. Newport was one of the main points of arrival for immigrants from England during the early seventeenth century. The family records state that Job was born in 1620. A deposition in 1659 in Andover lists his age as about 40 years. He is one of the earliest of our ancestors that I have found in my research of our family history.

Soon after his arrival in America, he settled in Andover, Massachusetts Bay Colony. Some of the first Puritan colonists in Andover found him there, a solitary squatter, in 1639-40. A few years later, he was in Roxbury. On November 1, 1646 permission is granted by the town elders of Dedham for Lambert Genry to sell his land “beyond the mill creek” to Tyler of Roxbury. Roxbury church records record that on January 28, 1646 a twin infant of Job Tyler’s died. The infant was probably the twin brother or sister of Hopestill Tyler who was born about 1846. Soon after the death of the infant Job returned to Andover and on March 5, 1650, he mortgaged property there to John Godfrey. This was the beginning of trouble for Job. He was indebted to John Godfrey for sixteen pounds to be paid on March 1, 1652. The payment was to be made in wheat valued at four shillings per bushel and rye at three shillings, six pence per bushel. Collateral on the loan was Job’s house, land and three cows.

On April 18, 1662, Job deeded his house and twenty-five acres of land to Godfrey. The deed was to be voided if Job paid bonds (promissory notes) from Anthony Sumerby when they became due. Currency was scarce in colonial times and Job was probably paying a debt to Godfrey with promissory notes given him by Sumerby. If Sumerby failed to pay Job on the due date of the bonds, and Job failed to pay Godfrey, Job would lose his home to Godfrey.

Godfrey was not well liked in the colony and he was described as a hard-bitten moneylender. The Tyler's apparently had some bitterness towards him since they accused him of witchcraft in 1658. The accuser and principal sufferer from Godfrey’s “wiles” was Job’s wife Mary. The Tyler's brought the accusation against Godfrey as part of a lawsuit they filed against him in that year. The deposition was sworn to in 1659 and brought forward again in 1665 in connection with another lawsuit. This was twenty-seven years before the famous Salem witch trials. The accusation of witchcraft illustrates the attitudes in Puritan Massachusetts.

To paraphrase, the document states, “The deposition of Job Tyler aged about 40 years, Mary his wife, Moses Tyler his son aged between 17 and 18 years and Mary Tyler about 15 years old. These deponents witness that they saw a thing like a bird come in the door of their house with John Godfrey in the night, about the size of a blackbird, or rather bigger, to wit, as big as a pigeon, and it flew about, John Godfrey trying to catch it. The bird vanished through a chink of a jointed board. This was as they remember about 5 or 6 years later.” Apparently, the court did not give much weight to this accusation and Job lost the lawsuit in 1665.

Godfrey was not the only person with whom Job had legal difficulties. Job apprenticed his son Hopestill to Thomas Chandler of Andover in about 1655. For some reason Job changed his mind about the bargain. He went to the home of Nathan Parker, where the apprenticeship document was kept, and took it when Parker was not at home. This matter was in the courts for ten years. Finally, in 1665 Job lost the suit. The court’s decided that since Job was poor he should not be fined above six pounds, but the court ordered him to write a confession “in a plain legible hand” and nail it to the posts of the Puritan meetinghouses in Andover and Roxbury.

The confession says (paraphrased) - whereas it appears by sufficient testimony that I, Job Tyler, have shamefully reproached Thomas Chandler of Andover by saying he is a base, lying cozening [tricky], cheating knave; that he got his estate by cozening [trickery] in a base reviling manner and that he was recorded for a liar. That he was a cheating, lying whoring knave fit for all manner of bawdry, wishing that the devil had him. Therefore, I Job Tyler do acknowledge that I have in these expressions most wickedly slandered the said Thomas Chandler. That without any just ground, unable to prove these slanderous accusations against him I can do no less than express myself to be sorry for them, and for my cursing of him. I desire God and the said Thomas to forgive me, and that no person should think the worse of Thomas Chandler because of any of these, my sinful expressions, and I engage myself for the future to be more careful of my expressions both concerning him, and I desire the Lord to help me to do so.

Although the suits concerning Chandler and Godfrey were not settled until 1665, Job and his family left Andover and settled near Roxbury in 1662. In August, 1662 Job and Mary deeded part of their land in Andover to Thomas Abbot for a horse valued at ten pounds, ten shillings. Between June and August, 1662 Job and his wife Mary deeded several acres of land, their house and barn to Godfrey. Since no money is mentioned in the transaction it is probable that Job was forced to deed over his home to Godfrey for defaulting on debts he owed to Godfrey. Job and his family left Andover and went to back to Roxbury.

The year 1665 was not a good one for Job. In addition to losing his lawsuits against Chandler and Godfrey in Andover, he found himself in trouble in his new home in Roxbury. In September, 1665 Owannamang, an Indian chief living near Marlborough complained that Job Tyler of Roxbury cut and carried off hay from his meadows. The authorities fined Job two shillings, six pence and made him pay the chief ten shillings for the hay.

By 1669, Job had moved to Mendon and was soon in trouble there with the Puritan town and church authorities. On July 14, 1669, the selectmen (town officials) met and ordered the constable to summon Job Tyler to come before them the next Friday at Gregory Cook’s house. Job was to answer for his contempt of their orders, and why he refused to work on the cellar at the minister’s house. Job told the constable that we could not and would not come, but if the selectmen had more to say to him they could come to him.

The town officials then resolved to take their complaint of his contempt of several of their orders to the magistrates. They also complained of Job’s miscarriages of the Lord’s Day [he failed to go to church]. We do not know what happened next, but the following year Job is on the list helping to confirm the Rev. Joseph Emerson, the first settled minister of Mendon. Also recorded is the fact that Job had given satisfaction for the offenses of which he was accused.

In 1675, King Philip’s War broke out in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Philip was chief of the Wampanoag tribe. His Native American name was Metacomet, but the English settlers called him King Philip. In 1662 Philip succeeded his brother as chief and formally renewed the treaties his father had made with the Pilgrim and Puritan settlers. He honored these for some years. The colonists, however, made continual encroachments on native lands. In retaliation, Philip formed a confederation of tribes and in 1675 led an uprising now known as King Philip's War.

When the war erupted, the residents of Mendon buried their pewter plates and brass kettles in the swamps, loaded everything else they could carry and fled to the larger eastern towns. Job and his family apparently fled to Rowley Village or Roxbury before the Indians attacked Mendon and burned it to the ground. Samuel Tyler, one of Job’s sons, was drafted into the militia and was seriously wounded during the “war.”

The Indians burned several towns and killed many of the inhabitants. In return the colonists captured Indian women and children, destroyed crops, and promised impunity to Indian deserters. In December 1675, the colonists won a major victory. During the spring of 1676, the Indians held out, but their numbers steadily diminished, and in August, Philip was killed. The war then ended, and resistance to further colonial settlements in southern New England ceased.

By 1688, Job had returned to Mendon. The last official record of him was his deed of his land in Mendon to his son Moses in November 1700. It is likely that he died soon after. These old documents show that Job was a stubborn, outspoken, rebellious man, who had problems with Puritan authority and trouble handling his debts. Yet, there must have been much good in him for he raised a large family, who were deeply religious, prosperous and outstanding citizens of their communities. His strong personality perhaps was passed down to his sons, grandsons and great-grandsons, several of whom became military officers in various military organizations; at least one was a high-ranking Major General. A strong personality often makes for a strong and natural leader.

On September 4, 1901 at the sixth annual Tyler reunion, Job’s descendants erected a monument next to the grave of his eldest son, Moses. It was a large granite bolder brought from a farm that had been owned by direct descendants of Job for three hundred years. It was set on a cement base and a bronze plaque attached, “IN MEMORIAM JOB TYLER IMMIGRANT FIRST SETTLER ANDOVER ABOUT MDCXXXIX [1639] BORN MDCXIX [1619] DIED MDCC [1700].”

Children of Job and Mary Tyler

1. Moses Tyler, born in 1641 or 1642

2. Mary Tyler, born about 1644

3. Hopestill Tyler, born about 1645 or 1646

4. Twin [to Hopestill] infant died January 28, 1646

5. Hannah Tyler, born about 1648

6. John Tyler, born about 1650; died in Andover, Sept. 28, 1652

7. JOHN TYLER, born April 16, 1653; died May 4, 1742 [it was not uncommon to name a child after one that had died]

8. Samuel Tyler, born May 24, 1655; died December 17, 1695

Deacon John Tyler

John Tyler was born in Andover, Massachusetts on April 16, 1653. His parents named him for an older brother who died as a toddler a few months before his birth. At the age of 12 John was baptized in Roxbury on June 4, 1665. John spent some of his youth in Mendon until his family fled from there at the outbreak of King Philip’s War. He spent some time in Rowley Village and as an adult returned to Andover.

John Tyler married Hannah Parker of Andover on September 14, 1682. Hannah was the daughter of Nathan Parker and his second wife Mary. It was from Nathan’s house some twenty-five years earlier that John’s father, Job, took the apprenticeship papers, which led to some of Job’s legal problems. Like his father, John was not immune to scandal. In March, 1683 he confessed to fornication with Hannah Parker. John and Hannah were married almost six months earlier, causing us to wonder what prompted the confession. My guess is that a child was born (probably stillborn) since the couple's first child of record was born two years after their marriage. John was ordered to be whipped or to pay a fine. Hannah was fined for the transgression. Even the Puritans would sometimes succumb to the powerful urge of sex

John and Hannah joined the first church of Andover and they appear on the membership list of 1686. On April 18, 1691 John, along with his brother Hopestill and brother-in-law, John Bridges, were made freemen – a term meaning they were granted all of the rights of citizenship in Andover.

In 1693 John and his family returned to Mendon. John became active in town affairs. In 1698 he was on the committee that picked a site for a corn mill on a stream within the town limits; in 1701 he was on the committee that helped set the tax rate for the town. In 1702 he was elected selectman (town councilman) and for many years was involved in the duties of a town official. By 1713 John was a deacon in the Puritan church. Since there was little separation of church and political duties in early Massachusetts his name appears in documents related to both. John remained active in politics and church business for the rest of his long life.

Deacon John Tyler died of “Jandows” (jaundice) on May 4, 1742 at the age of 90. His tombstone was still standing when the Tyler Genealogy was compiled in 1912. There is no will or estate settlement because John had divided his estate between his children before his death.

Children of John and Hannah Parker Tyler:

1. John Tyler, born Aug. 16, 1684 and died apparently unmarried in 1753. He lived in Mendon and was constable in 1728. At his death, his estate was divided among his brothers and sisters

2. Nathan Tyler, born in Andover on February 17, 1687 and died in Mendon on December 26, 1782.

3. Robert Tyler, born in Andover on July 19, 1689.

4. Bethia Tyler, born in Andover on February 17, 1692

5. Mary Tyler, born in Mendon on May 24, 1694.

6. David Tyler, born in Mendon on June 15, 1696

7. JOSEPH TYLER, born in Mendon on October 21, 1701

8. Mercy Tyler, born March 26, 1704; married Daniel Hazeltine of Mendon on October 13, 1732 and died before 1753.

Joseph Tyler

Our information on Joseph Tyler is sparse. He was born in Mendon on October 21, 1701. On January 13, 1723/24 he received one half of his father’s farm. He moved to Sutton, Massachusetts prior to 1743 and by 1753 had moved to Uxbridge. Joseph was married twice, first in about 1730 to Mehitable Hazeltine. She died in Uxbridge in 1754. On September 23, 1756 in Uxbridge, Joseph married Mary Draper of Roxbury.

In 1757, at the start of the French and Indian War, Joseph joined Captain John Taft’s 2nd Foot Company. I have no information as to whether he saw action during the war. He was fifty-six years old and It is likely the company he joined was a “home guard” militia unit formed to protect the citizens of Uxbridge in case of attack. Most of the battles of the French and Indian War were fought west of the Alleghenies and Appalachian mountains, far from Massachusetts. Joseph died in Uxbridge on December 18, 1779 at the age of 78.

Children of Joseph and Mehitable Hazeltine:

1. Abner Tyler, born probably in Mendon on February 15, 1731

2. Timothy Tyler, born probably in Mendon on June 2, 1735 and probably died before 1742

3. Joseph Tyler, born probably in Mendon on May 1, 1738

4. Timothy Tyler, born May 17, 1742

5. Mehitable Tyler, born December 1744

6. Ruth Tyler, born February 7, 1751

Children of Joseph and Mary Draper
7. SOLOMON TYLER, born in Uxbridge on September 23, 1757

8. Benjamin Tyler, born in Uxbridge on July 28, 1759

Solomon Tyler

Solomon Tyler was born on September 23, 1757 to Joseph and Mary Draper Tyler in Uxbridge, Massachusetts. Solomon served in the American Revolution as a member of Captain Thaddeus Read’s Company, Colonel Nathan Tyler’s 3rd Worcester Company Regiment. Colonel Tyler was Solomon’s uncle. This was apparently a militia unit. Solomon entered service on July 28, 1780 and was discharged on August 7, 1780, serving for a total of fourteen days. His unit marched to Tiverton, Rhode Island “on an alarm.” This was typical of militia units. These units formed when needed, such as for a specific battle, and disbanded as soon as the enemy moved from the area. Many more men served in these militia units than served in the Continental Army. As far as I know, Solomon is our only ancestor to have served in an American military unit during the American Revolution.

After the war, Solomon married Mary Archer on February 17, 1781 in Uxbridge. Mary was the daughter of Benjamin Archer. She was four years younger than Solomon, born in 1761 in Uxbridge. Solomon and Mary had eleven children. Mary died in Uxbridge in 1808 and On June 28, 1809 Solomon remarried, to Jerusha Wood Newell, widow of Solomon Newell. Solomon and Jerusha Tyler had one child, Newell Tyler, born on April 12, 1810. A few months later, on November 1, 1810, Solomon died in Uxbridge. Jerusha was born in 1765 and died on September 26, 1834 in Uxbridge.

Children of Solomon and Mary Archer Tyler:

1. Joseph Tyler, born January 8, 1782 in Uxbridge, Massachusetts

2. Kelita Tyler, daughter, born February 5, 1784 in Uxbridge

3. Melinda Tyler, born February 7, 1786 in Uxbridge

4. Royal Tyler, son, born August 2, 1788 in Uxbridge

5. Parker Tyler, born November 14, 1790 in Uxbridge

6. Amery Tyler, son, born August 30, 1792, died January 25, 1814 in Uxbridge

7. BENJAMIN TYLER, born February 22, 1796 in Uxbridge, died on March 20, 1875 in Wadsworth, Ohio

8. Mary Tyler, born October 25, 1797, and died April 23, 1798 in Uxbridge

9. Timothy Tyler, born July 17, 1799 in Uxbridge

10. Solomon Tyler, born July 18, 1802 in Uxbridge and died on December 16, 1878 in Medina Co., Ohio

11. Mary Tyler, born on April 17, 1804 in Uxbridge.

Child of Solomon and Jerusha (Wood Newell) Tyler:

12. Newell Tyler, born April 12, 1810 in Uxbridge

Benjamin Tyler

Benjamin Tyler was born to Solomon and Mary Archer Tyler on February 22, 1796 in Uxbridge, Massachusetts. At the age of twenty he left Massachusetts for Ohio with his brother, Parker. Several years later younger brother Solomon followed his siblings to Ohio. Although there is no record of their journey we can assume they traveled the same route taken by the majority of New Englanders who migrated to northern Ohio shortly after the War of 1812. From Uxbridge they would have traveled west to Albany, New York and from there taken the Mohawk Turnpike to Utica, New York. From Utica they would have traveled the Great Genesee Road and passed through Canandaigua, Avon and Batavia before arriving at Buffalo. From Buffalo, they traveled southwest along the shore of Lake Erie until they were just east of the village of Cleveland. From there, they turned south for about thirty miles. After more than two months on the road, they arrived at their destination in what is now Norton Township in Summit County.

Albert Hinsdale of Wadsworth described this journey in detail, recorded in the “Wadsworth Memorial,” a book published in 1875 containing the early history of Wadsworth and brief biographies of many early settlers. Mr. Hinsdale and his family were early settlers in Wadsworth from Connecticut and came from New England the same year as the Tyler's. They must have shared many experiences and Mr. Hinsdale’s account preserves for us the essence of that long trek.

“We started from Torrington, Connecticut, to New Connecticut October 4, 1816, the memorable cold season, when there was said to be frost every month in the year, which was attributed to the unusually large spots on the sun. Consequently provisions and forage were high [in price]; oats and corn were one dollar a bushel, and other things in proportion, which made expensive traveling. Our team was two stout yoke of oxen, which never failed. When we started there were folks enough there to make a little funeral. I started with a good deal of resolution on foot, and came so most of the way… We crossed the North River at Albany in a horse-boat. We [saw there] one of the first steamboats that plied on American waters start from her dock for New York. We crossed the Genesee on a boat propelled by a rope, and Cayuga Lake on an open bridge half a mile long… We came through the village of Buffalo, which had not recovered from the British raid and fire… As we came up the lake [Erie], the road ran much of the way on the beach. In driving around one point of rocks, the water was so high that it washed away our tar-bucket, which hung to the hind axle-tree. We arrived in Braceville, Trumbull County, on December 2, having been eight weeks on the road, and where we stayed over winter…”

1816, the year the Tyler's and Hinsdale migrated to Ohio, became known as the year without summer. They had no way of knowing, but this unusual worldwide climate event was caused by the massive volcanic eruption of Mount Tambora in the Dutch East Indies.


The Tyler's were among the earliest settlers of Norton and Copley Townships. Shortly after arriving in Ohio, Benjamin settled in Copley Township. Until 1840, the range of townships, which included Norton and Copley, was a part of Medina County. In 1816 when Benjamin Tyler cane to Ohio, Medina County was mostly a forest wilderness inhabited by many sorts of wild game. The Indians of the area had largely departed for more western and northern parts, but white settlers would see a few small bands in the county as late as the mid 1820’s. The first few years in the new territory were extremely lean until the settlers cleared enough land, planted their crops and brought in a substantial harvest.

Benjamin married in 1820 widow Olive Bartlett, daughter of Abraham Brown. By this time Benjamin had established himself and probably felt he could now support a family. Olive was born in Bennington, Vermont in about 1794. Olive’s father was also an early settler of Norton Township, arriving there before 1820. Olive had at least one brother and sister - John Brown, born between 1790 and 1800 in Vermont and Mary, born about 1789 in Vermont. John never married and lived with his father in Norton. Olive’s sister Mary married William Walcott. After the death of her husband, sometime before 1870, the elderly Mary Brown Walcott came to live with Benjamin and Olive in Wadsworth.

Benjamin moved his family to Wadsworth in 1824. A malaria epidemic was sweeping Copley and Norton Townships that year, spread by mosquitoes from the great swamp and marshes of Wolf Creek and the Tuscarawas River. Benjamin was probably attempting to escape the dreaded disease. The family settled on a farm located along the Wadsworth Road (today’s Route 57) in the northwest quarter of Wadsworth Township, about a mile north of old U.S. 224. This farm later passed to son Joseph Tyler.

Benjamin joined the Methodist church in 1818 after coming to Ohio and he remained a member of the church in Wadsworth for the remaining fifty-seven years of his life.

Olive died on August 26, 1874 in Wadsworth and Benjamin died just a few months later, on March 20, 1875. They are buried in the Wadsworth cemetery near the center of town. Benjamin and Olive had six Children.

Children of Benjamin and Olive Brown Tyler:

1. Benjamin Tyler, born March 22, 1821 in Norton Township, Medina County, Ohio; died in 1874 in Medina County.

2. JOSEPH TYPER, born August 14, 1822 in Copley, Summit County, Ohio; died November 12, 1901 in Wadsworth, Medina County.

3. Solomon Tyler, born in November, 1824 probably in Wadsworth, Ohio; married Eliza probably about 1847 and had at least two children, George (born about 1848) and Minerva Tyler (born about 1850).

4. Mary Tyler, born and died in 1826 in Wadsworth.

5. Rosina Tyler, born October 5, 1827 in Wadsworth; married Amos Hart.

6. Abraham Tyler, born in 1831 and died in 1832 in Wadsworth.

Joseph Tyler

Joseph was born in Copley, Ohio on August 14, 1822. He received a meager formal education, attending school only a short time each year until he was about nineteen and spending the rest of the time assisting his father on the farm. He must have been extremely bright because even with his lack of formal schooling, he became a Paymaster Steward in the Navy, a justice of the peace in Wadsworth and a trustee of Wadsworth Township, all of which require a better than average intelligence. As a young man, he worked in several occupations including brick making. He made brick for the first building erected by the Elgin Watch Company.

Joseph married Eliza Ann Williams of Stark County, Ohio on December 22, 1846. Eliza was the daughter of John and Hannah (Albright) Williams who came to Ohio from Maryland. Eliza was born on January 28, 1824, probably in Stark County. After their marriage, the young couple settled in Wadsworth and Joseph eventually returned to farming.

Joseph was largely responsible for preserving our Tyler genealogy. In the books WADSWORTH MEMORIAL, by Edward Brown and published in 1875, and HISTORY OF MEDINA COUNTY AND OHIO published by Baskin & Battey in 1881 are short biographies of Joseph, Benjamin and other Tyler relatives. These books say that Joseph took great pride in preserving his family’s history and they give a completely accurate family line from our immigrant ancestor Job Tyler of Massachusetts to the Ohio families. Years later in 1901, the authoritative, THE TYLER GENEALOGY: THE DESCENDANTS OF JOB TYLER, OF ANDOVER, MASSACHUSETTS, 1619-1700 compiled by Willard Brigham was published in two volumes by Cornelius Tyler in Plainfield, New Jersey. It verified all of the information kept by Joseph. My grandmother and Joseph’s granddaughter, Winifred Pearl Tyler Wall, and my grandmother’s half-brother Lloyd Tyler passed down this same information to me. It is extremely rare for a family to maintain the history of ten generations as it has been in our Tyler family branch. Most people cannot name even four generations back from themselves. My own independent research turned up no errors in Joseph’s information, and I had access to public records that the family was very unlikely to have had in the 1870’s and 1880’s. This indicates that the family carefully maintained these records for several generations, perhaps in a family Bible that has now been lost.


Except for the first two years of his life when his parents resided in Copley Township, Joseph lived his entire life in Wadsworth. He took over the operation of his father’s farm some years before his father’s death. The 1870 census lists Benjamin as a retired farmer. After Benjamin’s death, Joseph inherited the farm and worked it until his own death.

The HISTORY OF MEDINA COUNTY & OHIO said of Joseph, “…in later life, his career has been one of signal success, the elements of which are found in an excellent judgment, a remarkable business tact, an indomitable energy and perseverance, a strict integrity in dealing, and a power, which few men possess, of commanding the respect and confidence of the people. Mr Tyler is a prominent man in his township, having held the offices of Justice of the Peace and Township Trustee for a number of years, acceptably filling both, being a stanch old Republican in politics, and has been a member of the I.O.O.F. [International Order of Odd Fellows fraternity] for about thirty years.”

After the death of Eliza Ann, Joseph married Mrs. Lucia L. Cummingham on October 21, 1895 in Wadsworth. Joseph died on November 12, 1901 in his home in Wadsworth. Lucia died in Wadsworth in 1916.

Children of Joseph and Eliza Ann Tyler

1. Augusta T. Tyler, born October 16, 1847, never married, died after 1880.

2. RUSH SEBASTIAN TYLER, born October 15, 1851 in Wadsworth, died September 25, 1914 in Wadsworth

3. Jessie Romina Tyler, born September 17, 1856; died September 19, 1936 in Lorain, Ohio; married John W. Culbertson, March 13, 1897

Rush Sebastian Tyler

Rush Tyler was born in Wadsworth on October 15, 1851. As an adult Rush engaged in farming until the age of 49 when he moved into the town of Wadsworth. For most of the rest of his life he worked as a carpenter except from 1905 through 1907 when he was a cemetery sexton (caretaker) and worked at other odd jobs.

Rush married Laura T. Stannard on July 1, 1875 in Medina, Ohio. The Reverend D. J. Hoadley of Montville performed the ceremony. Laura was born in Montville, Ohio on August 22, 1850, the youngest daughter of William and Nancy (Booth) Stannard. Laura’s mother was born in Massachusetts on May 21, 1809, the daughter of Ephraim and Nancy Booth. The Stannard's came to Ohio from New York in 1840. Rush and Laura had one daughter, my grandmother, Winifred Pearl Tyler.

Laura died on February 24, 1893. At least two local news papers (which I cannot identify) published her obituary. The first says, “Laura T. Tyler … was married to Rush S. Tyler July 1, 1875 to whom was born one daughter, who survives her. About 20 years ago Mrs. Tyler united with the N.E. Church at Poe, Ohio. Subsequently she united with the church at River Styx, of which she was a member at the time of her death. For a year, she had been in delicate health as the result of lagrippe [influenza]. She was an earnest and faithful Christian woman, wife and mother. She loved Jesus and his church. She was active in every good word and work. ‘She hath done what she could,’ and is now enjoying the fruit of her labors. Her memory is sweetly cherished by those who knew her. Her last moments were peaceful and serene, and she went into the life to come leaning on Jesus. She was followed to her last resting place by a large conclave of sorrowing and sympathizing friends.”

The second says, “Died, on Friday, February 24, 1893, after a lingering illness at her home in Wadsworth Township, Laura Stannard Tyler, wife of R. S. Tyler, at the age of 42 years. The deceased was the youngest daughter of the late Wm. And Nancy Stannard and was born in Montville, Medina County, and about seventeen years ago she was married to R. S. Tyler locating in Wadsworth where she resided until her death. About two years ago, she suffered from a severe attack of the grippe, which left her system in an enfeebled condition since which time she has gradually failed, growing weaker and weaker day by day. During the last few weeks of her life she suffered very much but she bore her sufferings with more than usual patience, yet when the summoning came it found her ready to go trusting herself in the hands of Him who doeth all things well. Mrs. Tyler possessed a beautiful and sunny disposition, loyal to friends, faithful and true in all the relations of life. She has left a record behind her of good works which will never fade from the memory of her surviving friends. A loving and devoted wife and mother has been called away and leaves to mourn her loss a husband and daughter who have the sympathy of all in their great bereavement.”

Rush remarried to Emma Susanna Long on December 18, 1894 in Doylestown. Doylestown is a few miles south of Wadsworth in Wayne County. Emma was the daughter of John F. and Catrina (Deil) Long. She was ten years junior to Rush, born on January 5, 1862 in Ohio. A daughter and a son were born to Rush and Emma, Josie Romina and Lloyd Tyler. While I was working on the Tyler genealogy, I corresponded with Uncle Lloyd for several years before his death in 1988. Although he visited our home when I was very young, I do not remember meeting him in person.

Rush died at his home in Wadsworth on September 25, 1914. Emma died in Wadsworth on September 11, 1940.

Child of Rush and Laura Tyler:
1. WINIFRED PEARL TYLER, born June 21, 1876 in Wadsworth and died on June 4, 1958 in Sharon Township.
Children of Rush and Emma Tyler:

2. Josie Romina Tyler, born August 2, 1897, died October 29, 1965 in Akron, Ohio.

3. Lloyd Tyler, born February 12, 1901, died in 1988.

Winifred Pearl Tyler

My grandmother, Winifred “Winnie” Pearl Tyler, was born to Rush and Laura (Stannard) Tyler on June 21, 1876 in Wadsworth. Her mother died when Winnie was just 17 years old. She attended normal school (a teachers college for women) in Wadsworth for four years. I assume she obtained a teacher’s certificate and perhaps the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree. If she ever taught school, it was likely before her marriage to my grandfather, Reason Deforest Wall. They were wed in Wadsworth on Christmas day, 1895. She spent the rest of her life on the farm in Sharon Township and raised eleven children. It is somewhat ironic that my grandfather who had only a high school education taught school for several years in Medina County while my grandmother with presumably a better education stayed home and raised a family. My grandparents were people of their time, the nineteenth century. Back then when a young woman married she would have known that her role was to be a mother and home maker.

In the early 1950's my grandmother developed a disease of the spinal cord. After an unsuccessful operation to correct the problem she was permanently paralyzed from the waist down. During the last couple of years of her life she was confined to bed. She died on June 4, 1958 at home in Sharon. That day is indelibly printed in my mind. My aunts and uncles attended her bedside as she lay dying, my cousins and I waited outside. My cousin Steve Mullet and I spent the sad hours talking. Our conversation centered on our grandmother. What I remember most about her was her incredible patience with our grandfather. He had a bad habit of being very abrupt with her, sometimes to the point of cruelty, although I do not think he intended to be abusive. She took his criticisms in stride and rarely retaliated with harsh words of her own.

Click here for The WALL FAMILY genealogy

Ronald N. Wall
Modified: 28 April 2017