Sources for the genealogy and history of the Westfall family from the immigrant ancestors Juriaen van Westphalen and Mary Hansen who came to New Netherland in 1642 to their descendants primarily in today's West Virginia
||HOME| |Westfall Home Page| |Family History| |Sources| |Photos| |Genealogy Menu||
SOURCES Westfall Family History and Genealogy
Just a reminder, not all of these sources are reliable. I have listed them in no particular order
1. WEST VIRGINIA WESTFALLS, Their Place in America's History, by W. Lynn Hutchison, McClain Printing Company, Parsons, WV, www.mcclainprinting.com. (2015).
2. Van Rensselaer Bowier manuscripts, being the letters of Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, 1630-1643, and other documents relating to the colony of Rensselaerswyck. Translated by A.J.F. van Laer, archivist; New York State Library, Albany (1908);pp. 605, 679, 827; Http://books.google.com
3. Virginia Carpenter Jansen, "Westfall Ancestry of the Jansen Daughters, Our New Netherlands Immigrant Ancestors", Chapter 27, March 2002, http://webpages.charter.net/gjansen/famwes.htm
4. Westfall@rootsweb.com, Subject: Re: [WESTFALL] Jurian; post by Stephen Westfall, March 28, 2007
5. "A Microcosm of how New Netherland Finally Succeeded", academic paper by David AJ Reynolds (no date)
6. Philip Turner, Westfall Family Tree, from Collins, Holdridge Ozro, The Westfall Family, Series: New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Volume: XXXIII (Jan. 1902)
7. Dutch-Colonies-L@rootsweb.com From: Elizabeth Johnson, Wednesday, May 31, 2006 Subject: [Dutch-Colonies] Re: Juriaan Westfall - Evert Pels; source: "The Settlement and Early History of Albany" Wm. Barnes; Albany (1804)
8. Hoes, Roswell Randoff, BAPTISM AND MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF THE OLD DUTCH CHURCH OF KINGSTON, ULSTER COUNTY, NEW YORK, N. Y., 1891
9. Allen, Frank Hales, WESTFALL FAMILY LINEAGE, Descendants of Juriaen van Westphalen, Lakewood, Ohio, (1945)
10. Collins, Holdridge Ozro, THE WESTFALL FAMILY, New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, Vol. 33, pp. 10-14, 87-90; (Jan. 1903)
11. NEW JERSEY ARCHIVES, FIRST SERIES, Documents Relating to the Colonial History of The State of New Jersey, Vol. VI, pg. 162-168, Newark, N. J., (1882); Vol. VII, Part 1 pg. 202-232, Part 2 pg. 12-15, (pub. 1885); Vol IX, pg. 116-119, 178-183, 250-257; “Extracts From American Newspapers, 1756-1761,” Vol XX, Trenton, N. J., (1898); “Marriage Records, 1665-1800,” Vol. XXII, pg. 452; Calendar of Wills 1751-1760, (1928)
12. Beck, Henry Charlton, TALES AND TOWNS OF NORTHERN NEW JERSEY, Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick, 1983
13. Sutton, John Davison, HISTORY OF BRAXTON COUNTY AND CENTRAL WEST VIRGINIA,” Sutton, West Virginia, January 1919.
14. Bosworth, Dr. A. S., A HISTORY OF RANDOLPH COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA, “From its Earliest Exploration and Settlement to the Present Time”
15. Oren F., A HISTORY OF PENDLETON COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA, Franklin, W. Va., 1910
16. Sowell, A. J., Early Settlers and Indian Fighters of Southwest Texas, (Argosy-Antiquarian Ltd., New York, N. Y., pub. around 1897), pg. 353-367.
17. Lowther, Minnie Kendall, HISTORY OF RITCHIE COUNTY, Wheeling News Litho Co., Wheeling, W. Va. (no publication date but text indicates it was compiled about 1910)
18. Cutright, W. B., THE HISTORY OF UPSHUR COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA, (no pub. Date, but text indicates about 1910)
19. McWhorter, Lucullus Virgil, THE BORDER SETTLERS OF NORTHWESTERN VIRGINIA FROM 1768 TO 1795, (Edited and republished by Jim Comstock, Richwood, West Virginia, 1974)
20. Cutright, Corinne E., THE WESTFALL FAMILY, Randolph County Historical Society, Magazine of History and Biography, pg. 24-26, (1927)
21. Johnston, Ross B., WEST VIRGINIANS IN THE REVOLUTION, The West Augusta Historical and Genealogical Society, 1959.
22. Revolutionary War Pension Applications, No. R-11333, Cornelius Westfall, 1834, National Archives, Washington D.C.
23. D.A. R. Card Index, Revolutionary War Pension Applications (several Westfall's)
24. The Republican Delta, HISTORY OF WESTFALL FAMILY IS STORY OF UPSHUR PIONEERS, Aug.-Oct. 1972 (republished articles from the Sunday Exponent-Telegram, 1934)
25. Register of Marriages, Lewis County, West Virginia, 1850-1900
26. Family Archive CD 229, Marriage Index: KY, NC, TN, VA, WV, 1728-1850, (Sec. V., Ch. 64, Lewis Co., Va.), Brøderbund Software, Inc.
27. Lewis County General Index to Marriage Records, Family History Center, Church of Latter Day Saints, Mesa, AZ.
28. RECORD OF PENNSYLVANIA MARRIAGES PRIOR TO 1810, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1968
29. Tucker, Gideon J., NAMES OF PERSONS FOR WHOM MARRIAGE LICENSES WERE ISSUED BY THE SECRETARY OF THE PROVINCE OF NEW YORK PREVIOUS TO 1784, Weed, Parsons and Co., Albany, NY, 1860
30. Stryker, William S., OFFICERS AND MEN OF NEW JERSEY IN THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR, (1870), Republished by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1967
31. Ancestry.com. U.S., Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2007. Original data: Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M246, 138 rolls); War Department Collection of Revolutionary War Records, Record Group 93; National Archives, Washington. D.C. (Abel, Cornelius and Jacob Westfall)
32. Westfall, Henry F., Letter to Lyman C. Draper, Philadelphia concerning Indian Troubles, November 21, 1848 (Wisconsin State Historical Library, Madison, Wisconsin)
33. THE WAR OF THE REBELLION: A Compilation of The Official Records of Then Union and Confederate Armies, GPO, Washington DC, 1901
34. Bishop, William H., HISTORY OF ROANE COUNTY WEST VIRGINIA, pg. 696, 1927 (this article contains family information on a John H. Westfall of Roane County)
35. Osler, William, various correspondence, Oct.-Nov. 1983
36. Westfall, Randal, correspondence, July 1980-Feb. 1983, Upperglade, W. Va.
37. FIND A GRAVE, John H. Westfall, 1806-01 May 1870, Mount Olive Cemetery, Tichenal, Harrison County, WV.
38. FIRST CENSUS OF THE UNITED STATES, 1790, Virginia Heads of Families, 1782, Monongalia County. National Archives, Washington DC, Micro. T498, Reel 3
39. Fothergill, Augusta B. and John Mark Naugle, VIRGINIA TAX PAYERS, 1782-1787, OTHER THAN THOSE PUBLISHED BY UNITED STATES CENSUS BUREAU, 1940
40. U.S. Census, 1800-1880, various Virginia and West Virginia counties, National Archives, Washington DC (extracted between 1976-1981)
41. U.S. Census Soundex, 1880, 1900, National Archives, Washington, DC (extracted between 1981-1989, Family History Center, Church of Latter Day Saints, Mesa, Arizona)
42. U.S. Census, 1880, 1900, Lewis County, West Virginia, National Archives, Washington, DC (extracted between 1981-1989, LDS Family History Center, Mesa, AZ)
43. Torrence, Clayton, VIGINIA WILLS AND ADMINISTRATIONS 1632-1800 (no publisher information)
44. Osa B. Westfall, various correspondence, Nov. 1978-Jan. 1980, Fort Smith, Arkansas (my grandmother)
45. STATE OF OHIO DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH, Certificate of Death no. 70691, Luvenia (Trowbridge) Westfall, Summit Co., Ohio, Nov. 11, 1940
46. STATE OF OHIO BUREAU OF VITAL STATISTICS CERTIFICATE OF DEATH no. 51844, Nathaniel J. Westfall, Summit Co., Ohio
47. Beverly A. Moneypenny, Weston, Lewis County, West Virginia, e-mail, March 2001 (Peter Westfall descendants)
48. Elaine L. Moneypenny Stalnaker, Camden, West Virginia, e-mail, March 2001 (Peter Westfall descendants)
Ronald N. Wall
Modified: 06 September 2017