A brief biography of Vivian Arlie Wall of Sharon Center, Medina County, Ohio, a veteran of World War II who was killed four months after returning from the war when his automobile was struck by a switching engine at an unguarded railroad crossing.

|HOME| |Wall Home Page| |Family Tree| |Family History| |Sources| |Photos| |Genealogy Menu|


Vivian, Clara, Ronald Wall 1943

Vivian Arlie Wall and Family

My dad was the youngest child of Reason and Winnie Wall and was born in Sharon on November 11, 1921. He grew up on my grandfather Reason Deforest Wall's farm and graduated from Sharon High School in June 1939. He attended Stuart Business College in Akron for eight months in 1940 and 1941 studying accounting and bookkeeping. On June 22, 1941 he married my mother Clara Luvenia Corbett of Copley Township in Summit County. In 1941 and 1942 Dad worked for the Firestone Steel Products Company in Akron as a turret lathe operator until he was drafted into the Army on September 10, 1942. He completed basic training at Fort Hayes, Columbus, Ohio and advanced training at Mineral Wells, Texas. He was then transferred to Massachusetts to await shipment to the European Theater of Operations. He departed the United States in April 1943 for Libya, North Africa and saw action there, Morocco and in Sicily and Italy before World War II ended.

During the war he was an intelligence scout and ambulance and light truck driver. In November 1945 he returned to the U.S. and was discharged at Indiantown Gap Military Reservation, Pennsylvania during the general demobilization. His medals included the Good Conduct Medal, Europe, Africa, Middle East Service ribbons with one Bronze Star. Early on the morning of March 31, 1946 Vivian was killed in an auto accident. He was twenty-four years of age. The following article appeared in a newspaper shortly after his death.


Dies in Hospital After Sunday Crash - Third Fatality of Year. CRESTON - Vivian Wall, 23, of Sharon Center, war veteran, died at the Lodi hospital about 11 a.m., Sunday from injuries received about 4 a.m., that day when his automobile was struck by a light engine at the main Street crossing here

It was the second serious accident at the crossing in three days, two other youths being seriously injured Friday night.

In Sunday's accident Wall was traveling north and apparently alone in his car when he was struck by the engine without a train. The engine was traveling west.

Dr. B. M. Foster of Creston gave the youth first aid and sent him to the hospital in the Murray ambulance. It was found that the youth had a fractured skull and other injuries. He had been discharged from the army in November. His car was badly damaged and there was no information available here today as to where he had been but it was presumed from the direction of his travel that he was en route home.

Wall is survived by his father and mother, Mr. And Mrs. R. D. Wall, of Sharon Center; his wife; two young sons, aged four and two years; and nine brothers and sisters.

Funeral services will be held on Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Hilliard Funeral Home in Wadsworth with Rev. A. G. Lansberry, of Sharon Center, officiating. Burial will be made in the Sharon Center cemetery.

The youths injured at the crossing in a similar accident Friday night were Harold Totten of Creston R. D., and Dale Young of Coshocton. The former is reported as improved at the Lodi hospital but Young is reported as remaining in a serious condition.<

The death of the Sharon Center youth is the third from motor vehicle traffic in Wayne County this year and the first since February

My father and mother were separated and in the process of a divorce when he was killed. Custody of my younger brother Arthur and me passed to our grandparents Reason and Winnie Wall. Our Aunt Clara Wall Coolman assumed custody in about 1948 and full guardianship about 1956. Our mother lived for many years in Arkansas and moved to Show Low, Arizona in 1990. She, like Dad was killed in an auto accident in Wagon Wheel, near Show Low, Arizona on November 26, 1990. Her car was broadsided by an Apache Indian Reservation vehicle. It appears the accident occurred in poor visibility with rain and sleet and she was hit when she attempted a U-turn in the path of the on-coming truck. The accident occurred only a few hundred yards of the emergency medical center, but she was trapped in the car for more than an hour. Like Dad, she died in the hospital from a massive skull fracture and other internal injuries. According to her wishes her body was cremated. Some of her ashes were buried in three locations she loved during her life, on her property in Show Low, on the property of sister Elinor Stockton in Winslow, Arkansas and at her request the rest were put into the Pacific Ocean off a pier in San Diego.

Children of Vivian and Clara Corbett Wall

RONALD NEVIN WALL - I am the oldest son, born in Wadsworth, Medina County, Ohio. Soon after our father's death, grandfather Reason Wall, applied for legal custody of my brother and me. Dad was filing for a divorce before his death and because our Mom was serving time in a Florida prison, the judge granted the petition. In 1948 our aunt, Dad's sister Clara and and her husband Platt Coolman took us to live with them. Aunt Clara and Uncle Platt were unable to have children. Platt died suddenly of a heart attack on the night of October 11, 1949. After Platt's death Aunt Clara moved us back to Grandpa's farm and we lived there for over a year. Clara met Delsworth Worthy Bridgman of Sharon Center while both were working and the Ohio Blue Tip Match factory. They were married in 1951. We moved to Sharon Center, which was near to Grandfather Wall's farm.

In 1959 because of difficulties at home I left Ohio with my mother and youngest brother, Loy Michael White, to Van Buren, Arkansas to live with my maternal grandparents, Arthur and Osa Corbett. I graduated from Van Buren High School in 1960. The following autumn I began classes at Draughon's Business College in Oklahoma City studying drafting and technical illustrating. The following summer I returned to Ohio and in September 1961 I joined the Air Force. I returned home to Van Buren, Arkansas on leave before I was shipped out to Japan and met my future wife, CAROLYN SUE WHITSETT of Fort Smith. We were engaged shortly before I left for my first overseas duty station at the 6986th Radio Squandron Mobile, Wakkanai Air Station, Japan. Sue and I were married on December 6, 1963 in Fort Smith, Arkansas shortly after I returned home after fifteen months in Japan.

During my twenty years in the Air Force I was a radio intercept analyst, cryptanalyst and communications security analyst. Nearing the end of my career, I enrolled in NSA Cryptologic School for computer programming and spent my last three years as a programming supervisor. I was stationed at Goodfellow AFB, Texas; Wakkanai, Japan; Kelly AFB, Texas; Khorat RAFB, Thailand; Brooks AFB, Texas; Brindisi, Italy; Heraklion, Crete (Greece), and the National Security Agency at Fort George G. Meade near Washington, D.C. My family accompanied me overseas only to Brindisi, Italy. I retired from the Air Force in September 1981.

After my retirement I went to work in Phoenix, Arizona for the state as a computer programmer. After two and half years working for the state, I went to work for The Prudential (Insurance) Company and IBM. I was "out sourced" from Prudential to IBM, but IBM transferred my seniority with Prudential enabling me to retire in 1999 from IBM with fifteen years of service. For seven years I worked part time with Walmart in the electronics section. At the age of 66 I retired from the working class. Sue and I lived in Fort Smith, Arkansas for five years before buying property near Florence, Arizona where we lived for ten years. In October 2013 we moved to Fairmont, West Virginia to be near our daughter and her family. In the summer of 2016, after our daughter and family followed their dream to North Carolina we moved once again, to Muldrow, Oklahoma and in the spring of 2017 to Fort Smith, Arkansas, where we now live.

ARTHUR ARLIE WALL was born in Wadsworth, Ohio. He graduated from Highland High School in Granger, Ohio then attended DeVry Technical School in Chicago studying electronics. He moved for a short time to Van Buren, Arkansas and worked as an electronics repairman in Fort Smith until he returned to Ohio. In 1964 he and a friend made a tour of the United States and Mexico. After returning to Ohio he enlisted in the U.S. Navy and received basic training at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center near Chicago. While stationed in Ireland at a navy communications site he met FLORENCE DENISE GREER of Londonderry, Northern Ireland. They were married in Londonderry. Art and Denise spent subsequent tours with the navy in Rota, Spain, Keflavik, Iceland and Norfolk, Virginia. While in Ireland and Spain Art participated in several cross-country automobile races and usually finished in the prize money.

After Arthur was discharged from the Navy he and the family moved to Apache Junction, Arizona. For several years he owned and operated a TV sales and service business in Apache Junction. Under his management the single store and shop soon evolved into three stores including a Radio Shack. After a series of break-ins at his stores, he sold the business and took a job in Phoenix, Arizona as an electronics engineer with an aviation electronics firm. He also conducted a sideline business in the manufacture and assembly of electronics components and had several contractors working for him.

Art and Denise have four children, Stephanie Mary, Jennifer Denise, Jeffery Arthur and Heather Marie Wall. Stephanie married Lewis Burnham and has two children, Philip Roy Burnham and Chelsie Denise Burnham. Daughter Jennifer attended the University of Arizona in Tucson where she earned a degree in biology. She moved to the Los Angeles area and worked for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and then Saddleback Hospital in Los Angeles. She married Tracy Scott Maziek in Laguna Beach, California. Jennifer and Tracy have two children. Twins Jeffery Arthur and Heather Marie Wall were born in Mesa, Arizona. Both graduated from Red Mountain High School with honors and the University of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff, earning their degrees.

Children of Ronald and Carolyn Sue Wall

BRUCE EDWARD WALL was born at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. He completed high school in Mesa, Arizona and attended Al Collins School of Design in Tempe, Arizona and also a course in personal computers with a business college in Phoenix. He married LAURA MARIE CROWE in Mesa and they had two children, Michael and Ashley. they were divorced. Second, Bruce married NANCY ANN JOHNSON in Phoenix, Arizona. Bruce and Nancy had two children, Jessica and Dana. Bruce and Nancy divorced. Bruce and Denise Weihe were married in Mesa. They have a daughter, Nichole. He was married for the forth time in Mesa to Terri Lou Davis. Bruce is an excellent musician and since he was a teenager has played guitar with various bands in the Phoenix area. He worked for several years in the retail battery business and has managed stores for two different companies that specialize in batteries. Bruce built a web site dedicated to the Southern Rock and the Lynard Skynard band. In 2005 Bruce and his family moved to Carthage, near Nashville, Tennessee to be closer to the music scene. Bruce is personally acquainted with members of the Lynard Synard band and members of several other southern rock bands. He is a personal friend of George McCorkle, the founder of the Marshal Tucker Band. For several years Bruce held an outdoor event called JAMAQUE in his specious back yard, where many Southern Rock recording stars came for an annual jam session.

Children of Bruce Wall

Michael Wade Wall, has one young son, Stone Jackson Wall.

Ashley Lillian Sue Wall, married Roger Nanhoo and has one daughter, Arya Nanhoo.

Jessica Sue Wall, married Marine Kris Schmidt and are currently stationed in Okinawa.

Dana Louise Wall, engaged to Daryn Vinton and has one child, Joyce LeAnn Vinton.

Nichole Adrianna Wall, currently unmarried (2017).

TONYA MICHELLE WALL was born at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas She completed high school in Mesa, Arizona. She married first Darren Earl Wills. They were divorced. She then married Joseph Anthony Madia in Mesa. Tonya was an apartment rental manager in Mesa, Chandler and Gilbert, Arizona. She also worked for State Farm and Liberty Mutual as an insurance agent. In about 1994 she was approached by a talent agency to perform as a model in various locations in the Phoenix area. She won a first place prize as a beauty contestant. She had small roles in Tom Cruise's movie "Jerry McGuire" filmed largely in Tempe, Arizona, and a Luke Perry movie "Lethal Invasion" filmed entirely in Mesa and shown on ABC TV. A few months later she had a small part in a Martin and Charlie Sheen movie. After she began acting in theater, the leading entertainment critic in Phoenix gave her an excellent review for her staring role as Bella in "Lost in Yonkers" at the Desert Stages Theater in Scottsdale, Arizona. Tonya met her husband Joey through their work at Desert Stages. In 1998 Joey and Tonya collaborated on writing and producing the "Think It Through Review" for the State of Arizona dealing with teenage pregnancy. It played in theaters and schools throughout the state of Arizona and West Virginia. Tonya and Joey ran a theatrical school for kids. Joey is a book editor for a New York publishing firm, and a published author, playwrite, director and actor. He is a native of New Jersey and was born in Rota, Spain while his father was stationed with the U.S. Navy at Rota. The family currently lives in Beaufort, North Carolina and are deeply involved in theater, local history presentations and other activities. Tonya recently wrote the book, Living The Intuitive Life soon to be published by Visionary Living Publishing.

Children of Tonya Michelle Madia

Daniel Ryan Wills, unmarried, lives and works in New York City.

Jeremy Nevin Madia, unmarried, also lives and works in New York City.

Jolie Anne Madia, lives with her parents in Beaufort, North Carolina.

Ronald N. Wall
Modified: 17 July 2017